Sunday 13 May 2007

Cambridge Diet Eve


I have decided to try the Cambridge Diet, I have tried every diet under the sun and so far all have failed. I have been motivated to try this diet because of my cousin Claire who has recently done the Lighter Life diet. She has done fantastically well and lost over two stone but unfortunately she has had to come off it because of health reasons. I am going to Lanzarote on the 28 June and would like to lose at least a stone in this time.
I went to see my 'Cambridge Diet Counsellor' yesterday who explained the diet to me in detail. Basically the diet consists of three substitute meals per day. In your first week these consist of a combination of milk shakes and soups. There is also the option of a bar (sort of like a cereal bar) after you have completed your first week. I have decided to have a milk shake for breakfast and soup for dinner and tea. She described the shakes etc as being palatable which didn't fill me with confidence. She took my measurements and weighed me which was frightening in itself but I actually found I weighed less than I thought, this is probably due to the fact that I have cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes for the past two weeks.
We then discussed why I wanted to lose weight which I explained to her that apart from the obvious reasons like the way I look I also explained that I have been trying for a baby for nearly two years and have recently been diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) and one of the side effects is weight gain however the only way to help this condition without medication is to lose weight so it is a bit of a vicious cycle. We then discussed which shakes and soups etc I would take for the week which I decided to take a mixture of all of them as I'm not really a fussy person anyway and at least I should find something I like out of the selection so I will know what to get for next week. She also informed me that I will have to drink at least four litres of water a day, which isn't too bad as I drink two litres a day at the moment, however I'm sure I will never be off the loo.
She then went on to point out in detail what I couldn't have, like NO FOOD AT ALL, chewing gum, lemons (oh damn because I love nothing better than chewing on a lemon) and the big one NO ALCOHOL. Hmmm, this one I am going to find a little tricky. It is a well known fact that I like a tipple or two on a weekend so this could prove quite a challenge when I am sitting with my husband, sister and brother in law on a Friday or Saturday night while they are sipping or guzzling a glass of wine or a vodka and diet coke, but hey ho I'm sure I will cope. We then talked about the cost, which I paid £10 for my induction and £33.50 for my weeks supply of food (well packets). I have justified this cost by telling myself that I would spend at least that on a night out or if I was to have a takeaway and a drink on a weekend this would amount to about the same. We have arranged my first weigh in for next Friday lunch time at 12. 10 so fingers crossed.
So off I went with my little box of packets feeling very strange and thinking what am I doing giving this woman £43 for cup a soups, I decided to wait until Monday to start the diet so that I could have my last Sundays Dinner at my mams house today, however I didn't have a drink last night so at least that is a start. I am feeling a bit weird to be honest I think it is a mixture of nerves and excitement. I think I am nervous because I really don't want to fail this time and also because it costs a little more than your average diet and the money could probably be better spent with us going on holiday soon but I am also excited because I know it works I have seen proof of this both through my counsellor and my cousin Claire (the above
mentioned).
I am going now to put my daughter to bed (Elise) now then I think I will have a bath and an early night in preperation for the big day. I thought I would post a picture of my life for the next seven weeks. Wowza.

M X

1 comment:

Cezzabell said...

Hi Shell
I think you will do fantastic (Go Shelley, Shelley)
Just wait till 6 weeks time and you are strutting down the beach with all of the boys whistling at you !!
Cezzabell X